I seriously am, I finished the last chapter in my first ever completed book! I set it up for another one, and I have quite a few more projects going on.
For example; I have been thinking, perhaps I need to broaden my horizon. My sister told me awhile ago, that girls like Romance in books. Well I knew that anyway, but I probably needed to hear it. So I was thinking about writing one, what would you call it? A Romance Novel? Perhaps, well anyways, I have NO CLUE what to call it! I have come up with a story line, a plot, one that might be a bit cliche! But it's might first attempt at something other than action all the way through! I'll get back to that book later.
But with the book that I just finished! Underworld Chronicles Book 1 War clouds: I finished it, and intro'd a new character for book two's plot!
And back to the other book. I am going to give you the storyline; So this guy (Andrew Smith) lives in Chicago. A big city, and he is a small town kid. From Georgia. And then there is Martha Jace, she is a college friend of Andrew's who lives in the same town. She is married to Andrew's life long friend Seth Jace, and Martha is set on getting Andrew a girl. Yes, she is a match maker. Well Andrew doesn't have much time on his hands, all the free time he has he spends with Seth and Martha, seeing as they live near each other.
Now not only am I going to try and do a Romance book, I am also going to try and do it from both perspectives; Andrew's and Kathy Lasen's (The girl Martha is trying to get together with Andrew.)
And that's all, but! I do need the help of my readers, what should I call this book? I have one idea, of which I will not tell at this point, but PLEASE tell me your ideas!
Romance Novels... Good luck.
ReplyDeleteWARNING: Longish comment ahead.
My advice (I read romance novels :/ Some I like, most I don't) is too not make it too expected.
The ones I DON'T Like ALL go something like this:
Boy Meets Girl (or vice versa)
They fall in love
Something completely stupid separates them for a week
Some wise person knocks 'em to their senses
They get back together.
The End.
.
I hate those so much. You expect the ending, and you are right.
One book I just finished reading had an unexpected ending... Like you thought she was going to choose one guy but chose the other one.
Word of advice, those are the kind of books girls like.
As for your choice of plot... Love it! Seems like something I would enjoy...
I think you should wait until you finish the book to get a title... But something Non-Corny (as in not like: Love is Real, seriously)and something you wouldn't necessarily label as a corny romance title. I have no ideas right now...
Like the idea of two points of view...
Good luck!
Well, I wasn't trying to do a corny name, and I usually work with a name with the book first, I have an idea but I'm not to sure. And I wasn't going to try and do a cheesy storyline, but you must understand, I am a guy, I usually don't read this kind of books. I hardly read at all. So a "Romance Novel" is a step for me. And I never try to make it expected, always one twist or another. The whole two perspectives came from another book I am working on of which I am doing that with three people.
ReplyDeletesome of the books i have enjoyed seem to use one of the lines in the book as the title...
ReplyDeletesome pithy sentence someone says along the way
i mostly read like mysteries, though, so maybe this would not apply to romance novels
Well, the book I just finished, the title was something that was said towards the end of the book (War Clouds,)it was and is an analogy. The title I am thinking about right now might go along with the writing style but maybe not the book.
ReplyDeleteOkay... a romance novel IS a big step... And a line from the book, depending on the line, would be a good title. And please, for the sake of all womankind on planet earth, no cheesy plot... :)
ReplyDeleteOK, for the sake of all of womankind, what do you suggest? I am willing to take advice, so, please, tell me!
ReplyDeletewell, as I said before, I mostly read mysteries and detective stories, but the element that stands out to me, and which I think could also work in a romance novel, is that the hero/heroine is usually a person who is not particularly the kind of person who is noticed in a crowd, and from which one would not generally expect great things, but as the story works out, this is the one person with greatness, with gifts and skills, and who has uncanny insight and is able to discover things that are not perceived by the general population. So, a rather average looking person turns out to be an amazing, sensitive, special person, who is head and shoulders above the rest, once you get to know him/her. This person saves the day.
ReplyDeleteI can not say for sure that this would make a good story, but in my real life, my husband and I were neither of us dramatically interesting or obviously great in any way, but one day, while we were taking a test in our class in college, the teacher dropped the answers to the test we were taking... and a quiet young man (who was not the kind who liked to call attention to himself) quickly picked it up from the floor where it had fallen and called out to the teacher, "Ms. Wasson, ..." and handed the answer sheet to her, without even glancing at it! That attracted my attention... I saw right away that he was honest and gracious, ... one-in-a-million.
I guess my admiration was written all over my face because he noticed me... our eyes met for a fleeting moment, ... and the rest, as they say, is history. We have now been married for 39 wonderful years!
I don't feel qualified to speak for all of womanhood, but I think that women like a heroic man. And I guess a man likes a woman of insight and discernment, who can see the heroism in him and who will admire and respect and genuinely appreciate and value his greatness.
Thank you for that comment, and I do love the Hero/heroine, in fact that is what most of books revolve around, I just wanted this one to be different, broaden my "skills" so to speak. So that where the Romance thing comes from, something I try to do, but in this one I am trying to leave the "Action, fighting," and so on out. Now I guess I could do a hero based on characteristics, and that sounds like a great idea. So thank you for that reply.
ReplyDeleteAlso, (sorry if I'm too late) for the sake of all womankind, don't make the man & woman both perfect supermodel types... I did a survey (sorry, I love those things) and about everyone agreed that when the man&woman are both perfect looking it makes us feel like such a thing will never happen to us, because we don't look like said Supermodel Heroine... It's the sad truth.!
ReplyDeleteNo you are not in the least late at all. And that is a great set of advice, just to let all of my readers know. None of you are ever late when it comes to try and better my works, keep trying to help! Thank you!
ReplyDelete