Sunday, October 11, 2009

So this is a conversation between me and an Atheist, it is actually a part 2 of a conversation between him and someone else. The last guy just seemed to repeat stuff, so I decided to step in and defend my Christian faith, the guy was really nice and used no profane language. Enjoy,

Me:
What evidence is there that God doesn't exist?

Atheist:
So I understand where you are coming from with this question but I am not going to answer it and here is why. . You are asserting something that, to me, sounds absurd. So you should provide the evidence. I shouldn't have to refute "crazy" assertions. For example, I say I have an invisible horse. can you find any evidence that I don't. So i must have one. that is not sound logic.

Me:
OK, I'll start with the Question of evolution and then work to that, this is my problem evolution: You believe that everything got here by chance, aka, the big bang, and we came from cells. Now let me put it this way, what are the chances that I take a wrist watch and take it apart, put all of the pieces in a brown paper sack and bury it, what are the chances that 50 years from now it's intact, perfect like the day it was bought? zero to none,

Atheist:
true, in your scenario, zero to none. But the scenario is in no way comparable to the atmosphere at the beginning of life. the pieces don't move around, they aren't mobile. If they did move on their own for some reason. there would be a chance. Though in my mind this scenario has Zero to nothing (lol) to do with evolution.

Me:
Nice, that was unexpected. Alright, now the big bang? That's a big explosion, right? How can an explosion, which destroy things, make a planet bigger? Isn't that what happened? that doesn't really seem to add up, and hey, feel free to ask me any Questions you might have.

Atheist:
So here is how i understand it. Atoms are mostly empty space. So though we are solid, our bodies are only, lets say, 10% actual matter. I'm not sure on the actual number but this good enough for explanation. So anyway all stuff is only 10% actual matter. Now we squeeze all matter right next to each other, no empty space and we get this dense ball of pure matter. This is highly unstable. Now the ball of matter explodes, the big bang, and sends matter spreading every which way and the 90% space is added after this explosion. In this explosion neutrons and protons are smashed together. Then these positively charged balls attract electrons and those are our elements depending on how many protons and neutrons are in a ball. Gravity, strong forces, and weak forces take over and everything begins to lose its kinetic energy from the blast. So our galaxy is the settled debris of that explosion. Also we aren't at the center. of the universe, nor the galaxy. Now there is a bit of evidence that says we still have some kinetic energy. that we are still moving away from the "blast zone" so to speak. When we measure the Doppler effect from the stars farthest away and we find that it shows that we are moving away from them. So when we lose all of our kinetic energy because of the gravity of everything else in the universe we will begin to move back into the center. The universe will collapse into the ball of 100% true matter and there will be another big bang. and that is my explanation of the big bang theory! hope you enjoy. haha. sorry it was so long.

Me:
It's alright, long is good, that was a great explanation. So, it's like a baking soda volcano? (No offense meant by this comparison, I am not as educated on neutrons and protons as you.) A chemical reaction expands the ingredients and thus we have the eruption. But my Question is, where did this matter come from? How did it get there?

Also, please don't take me as trying to manipulate you or trap you into a corner, I'm just asking and answering all the Questions I can.

Atheist:
Right and this is a question that kept me a believer for a long time. I don't know where it came from. So naturally it had to be put there right, by God. I was a deist until 3 years ago until i realized this. I need to apply the same scrutiny to religion as well. So where did God come from? The answer I had was, I don't know I guess he/she has always been there. But that answer doesn't satisfy because it doesn't explain. Its a cop out, just like it was when it was the answer for the first question. So I took a step back, admitted that humans are flawed and we cannot understand many things and came to this conclusion. Where did the matter come from? i don't know, I guess its always been around. i accept that I cant understand how something can always exist and don't need to make up an explanation just to satisfy my need to understand fully. And that was it, atheist.

its cool. the last person who debated jut seemed like a robot asking the same question over and over again and not reading what i wrote. you are engaging so this is perfect.

Me:
"So I took a step back, admitted that humans are flawed and we cannot understand many things and came to this conclusion." That's close to what I believe, we can't understand very much, the Bible even says something similar: It says that God can do things we can NEVER understand, why? Well, he's God, yeah, I've contemplated him being here forever, past present and future, it confuses me. But entertain this idea: What if we are not supposed to understand? God has given us a huge capacity of knowledge, (I believe God gave it to us, you being Atheist may not.) We what causes so and so diseases and so on, stuff that 2000 years ago people would have cut off their right arm to know. So, I could name other things that Christians debate among ourselves that we DON'T understand. And, me "engaging" is what I have been told to do when talking, try not to offend them and LISTEN to what they have to say.

Atheist:
I hear you. i appreciate how level headed you are. i guess our main difference is that you feel the evidence for a god is sufficient. Honestly i wish it were all true. It would be such a comfort. I'm not against religion either. I want you to believe what fits you, what you are comfortable with, what makes you happy. Which is why I'm not comfortable asking questions. Religion helps people get through tough times in life and that is great. well it was great talking with you.

Me:
Thanks for talking, but i want to say one last thing, the reason evidence is sufficient for me when you may not see any, (then again you may see allot.) The Bible says that even if Christians don't share the rocks will, and this is how: Have you ever studied rocks? They are complex, and yet we treat them like the simplest thing on earth, rocks come in all shapes and sizes, just seeing the detail in each one is enough proof, according to God, thanks again for the friendly convo!

Thanks for reading,]
Jack,

No comments:

Post a Comment